The conscious and unconscious proces of 35 seconds
I’m always been interested in human processes and our human nature in specific environments and situations. I like to experiment with simple interventions and therefore I like to put myself in the role of an anthropologist.
In “35 seconds STOP” I was asking myself, in an increasing growing city environment where people move around like coordinated route planners going from point A to B, how they would react in there stressed situation to a 35 seconds sound intervention. How would they respond and how would there conscious and unconscious mind create environment pictures? Later on I went further with these results and presented it to a bum, a forester and a shaman. How would these three men with specific backgrounds react to these pictures that were created through the intervention?
I started out with a 35 second loop of a ocean sound. Ocean sound is like “white noise”, it’s relaxing because it filters out background sounds. check: http://nothingblank.com/Sound%20relax_02_DEF.mp3
My target group where stressed people in the city environment so I selected specific environment where stressed people are common. Places like train stations, shopping malls, densely city environment etc.
I had a small group of volunteers who went to the specific places and had to get in contact with stressed people. The stressed people were instructed with three assignments:
1. Make a picture in the stressed state with the camera we brought with us and tell us what you hear.
2. Close your eyes and listen to the 35 seconds ocean sound sample on a mp3 player.
3. Make another picture after the 35 seconds stop and tell us again what you hear.
This resulted in a 80 pictures from stressed people that were categorized on 40 sheets. Presenting the first picture with the environment sound and the seconds picture with the environment sound on one sheet. Interesting was how to get people to work with you, even if they are stressed. The key was to block there way and ask them directly why they were stressed and if they would like to make a picture for an experiment.
These 40 pictures were presented to a Bum from Amsterdam, a Forester from Groningen and a Shaman. The reason for these people were:
1. The bum knows his way around Amsterdam. He is a city adventurer who knows how to survive within the rules of a city environment. He has insights not many people know.
2. The forester is a person that loves the nature and respects the law of nature. He is a person that is not attracted to city live and has a completely other view on what is happening in a city environment.
3. A shaman is a person who believes in the spiritual world. The world that exist through a connection with living but also “dead” matter. With his symbolic artifacts he is possible to make these connection. He is a person who looks at the world from a different interest and view.
I organized a presentation day with food and drinks where the 40 pictures were show. This day was constantly filmed. The idea was to create an environment where the bum, the forester and shaman could interacted with us, the pictures and each other. It was a meeting where specific human characters met. This resulted in an interesting conversation where the characters and backgrounds of the guests were spread before us. How basic human nature is and how intimate and special from the other hand, when organizing a meeting with complete different people! A short samples was made to give an idea. check: http://nothingblank.com/35sec%20conversation.mp3
From this I made a organization profile to work with in future projects and experiments.
35 seconds STOP experiment
- Categories →
- media art